Sunday, March 13, 2016

Poetry Reflection Blog

In my life poetry is important in the way that its everywhere. From the moment you step into a room you see poetry. From songs, catchphrases, slogans, posters, and more. It is a natural part of my life. In a way since I can't live without music, you could say, I can't live without poetry. Poetry is not for everyone. I know this because most of the people around me hate poetry and sometimes I know exactly how they feel. It can be for a wide variety of reasons. They might not understand it, they might hate the rules, or they might just think its boring. 

The life and experience of a poet effects their poems. It gives them inner depth and understanding of a subject. Everyone can assume about death, loss, and happiness but unless they've experienced it, it might not mean anything to them. Edgar Allen Poe used his lovers death to write the poem, "Annabelle."  Every word expresses his grief and anger at the events. When poets can understand their topic they can add more feeling and truths to poetry. They give the insight and experience to a subject and show others the emotion in it. 


Different authors and topics can be brought out by using literary devices. In my poem,"Am I a Terrorist?" I chose to write as the victim speaking to the bullies. In the poem, "A Stereotype of Me" by Kyle Ezra Kriticos he is also speaking as a victim to the people of wrongdoings.  I use personification when I say, "My hijab screams my religion." The hijab is a symbol of pride and individuality to the people of the Muslim religion and by using personification I give it emotion. I use an allusion to a poem in the book, "Bronx Masquerade" when I say, "Do you still want to call me names?" I use a simile when I say, "like Osama Bin Laden". In the poem, "A Stereotype of Me" by Kyle Ezra Kriticos he also uses literary devices. He uses repetition in his stanzas  by saying, "a stereotype of me" to give emphasis on his point. He uses personification like, "your voice is long since dead to me" to give more emotion to his poem. He says, "I'm worth a million times the weight". This metaphor shows his feelings for the events that made him write this poem. 

- Non-fiction poem
- Bio-Poem of a Literary Character
- Where I'm From Poem
- Spine Poem
- Found Poem
- Nonsense Poem

6 comments:

  1. I am the author of "A Stereotype of me" and I really appreciated this arcticle, both for how much you connected with my poem and how you feel about poetry in general. Great explanation on how poetry has been so important in your life and has given you an artistic outlet which as I know from experience even aids in dealing with societal pressures and prejudices that we all face at some point in life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyle Kriticos,

      Can you tell me the meaning of 'A Stereotype of Me'. Why and Have you experienced it before? I am a big fan of your poems and I want to hear/see it from your own words and perceptive.

      Delete
  2. Hello Kyle kriticos again! Please comment on my poem sometime on poetry soup but I’ll drop you the full disclosure about my poem here since you expressed so much interest! I feel in my life I have been stereotyped in many ways and have faced prejudice at times. There are many reasons why people get stereotyped but for me it was being a homosexual. I noticed a common denominator in the prejudice I experienced which is that people couldnt see past their preconceived notion of what they thought I would be like and As I said in my poem I always felt they couldn’t see me! I think everyone has experienced prejudice on some level....even if I weren’t gay it’s possible I could have still written this poem from being stereotyped for other reasons. I hope this gives more insight on the poem and again I appreciate your interest and am honoured

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! May I ask your background such as age, birthday, where are you from, when did you write the poem. As this kind of things are needed for my research

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For security purposes, you can message me at hangouts in which I already gave you an invitation a day ago. :) Hopefully you'll notice me

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete