Thursday, May 19, 2016

Of Mice and Men (Book and Movie), Comparing and Contrasting, Section 1 and Section 4


Right from the beginning of the movie we see immediate differences. For example, "the incident in Weed" is shown in the beginning instead of starting with the pond like in the book. We see a woman in a red dress running away from Lennie and George. Lennie and George then hide in a pond under long pieces of grass until the search party leaved. In the book the incident in Weed is only mentioned out of George's mouth when he speaks to Slim and Lennie, as well as Candy, and not described in any other way by the narrator. I think the director choose to show it this way to explain their suspicious behavior and why they are on the run. This changes the story because it gives us  insight on what happened to make them run instead of making us wonder like in the book. We can understand their actions better and get a better idea of the atmosphere and mood of the book.

In the film there is a reason for everything. The reason why George is first shown in the train embodies the theme of the movie and the book. The theme is loneliness. George is shown alone in the darkness and later on in the story there is another reason. When George kills Lennie he returns to the train. The train scene foreshadows what will happen later in the book. The director is telling us about the loneliness that will go into his lives.

One of the most important characters of both the book and the story is Curley's Wife. She is the catalyst for the problems on the farm, the fight between Lennie and Curley and the search party for Lennie at the end. She has to embody innocence as well as "tartness." I think the casting choice was great. She showed innocence while having flirtatious whiles. She looks similar to how I imagined her in the book however I thought she had  blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't think a lot of people could replace her however I think it would be Chloe Grace M. or Amanda Seyfried.

I really liked Of Mice and Men. This was because of the themes of loneliness and friendship. Thy were portrayed in a manner that I could understand. Something that impacted me was the friendship between Lennie and George. It made me think about my life and what I would do in his situation. I would recommend this book to anyone. This book is a favorite to both adults and children due to it's universal themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment